The Thirukkural, written by Thiruvalluvar, is a compendium of timeless ancient Tamil wisdom in as much as 140 words, which makes Thiruvalluvar the first Tweeter in the world. One of the most prominent literary works in Tamil, the Thirukkural has 1330 couplets and 133 chapters in total in almost every virtue of life. Here are some of the mind-blowing factors about Thirukkural which you may not have hitherto known.
- The 1330 couplets are written without a single poem (Kural) exceeding or falling shy of 7 words.
- It is the only book in the world that has the highest number of translations after the King James Bible.
- It begins in the name of God but still speaks of no particular religion or God.
- It had no takers or readers during the Pandian Sangam age because the other court poets considered the 2-lined couples out of sync with the syntax and semantics of the prevailing Tamil literature of the period.
- It was Avvaiyar, one of the important female poets of the Tamil canon and author of Aathichudi, who expounded the greatness of Thirukkural in the Pandian ruler’s court, and the rest, as we see, is history.
- One of the tallest statues in the world, the Thiruvalluvar statue located in the tip of India, Kanyakumari, is 133 feet tall (which is the number of Adigarangal or chapters in the Tirukurral)
- It virtually covers every virtue in human life – character, sex, love, wealth, life, governance, friendship, etc.
- Tiruvalluva Maalai (literally ‘Garland of Valluvar’) is a special book containing 55 verses each written by different poets belonging to various centuries extolling Tirukkural and its author.
- Thirukkural is also known as “Ulaga Podhumarai” (world common Veda), Mupaal (book of virtue, wealth, love and sex) Vayurai Vazhthu (word Veda), and several more.
- Valluvar Kottam is a popular place in Chennai where you can take delight in reading all 1330 kurals sculptured in stones.
- The first letter of Thirukkural is அ; the last letter is ன், the first and last alphabets of Tamil language.
Let’s follow the topic up with another post. But we will reserve this for another time.